And Justice for All?

Tomorrow is a first for me, a first for the teens at our church. It's the fist day for High School Sunday School. Now just in case you think something's wrong with my church, I've got to remind y'all that we're at a brand new, baby church. So there are lots of firsts. It's my privilege to be the first HS Sunday school teacher.
I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing. Now, I know God will be with me, has called me to this and has gifted me with the ability to teach. I not worried about that.
Here's my dilemma. My first lesson is on justice. We'll be watching a clip from the movie, "The Count of Monet Cristo" In case you've forgotten the plot an innocent man gets sent to prison. In the beginning of the clip we'll watch, he is sure of his faith--that God is just. At the end of the clip, when asked what has replaced his faith in God he says, "revenge."
I'm coupling all this with scripture from both Old and New Testaments (Duet 20:4; 1 Sam. 17:47; job 1:13-22; Isaiah 35:4; 40:31; Matthew 72; 27-44; Acts 16: 22-25; Romans 12:19; 1 Peter 2:19)
Now that's all well and good and yes there's wonderful, solid stuff from The Word for the kids to ponder. I'm not worried about that either.
What worries me is my own real struggle during the past week with the very concept of justice. So, just how do I talk about justice when I, myself don't really "get it?" Do I lay it all out there before the kids--showing my own struggle with the concept? Or do I simply tow the standard party line. Blah, blah, blah. . .
Hum. . . since God has been working on authenticity with me--working overtime by the way--I guess I'm going to have to opt for the honest approach and trust God will use that to lead this young people.
I don't' have all the answers. And I guess that's okay. Because the One I follow, the One I love, the One who gave everything to demonstrate His love for me does. I know without a doubt that His ways are perfect. And I might add. . He did NOT receive justice from the world either. Guess I've got my answer, huh?
So for now, I'm going to rest in His truth and relax about tomorrow. But (and there's always a but, isn't there), I've got a question or two for Him when I get to Heaven! I bet you do too.

3 comments:
I am amening every bit of this. It's funny how you asked a question and then answered it partly the way I was answering as I read. And then what you said about Jesus not receiving justice ... Oooh, inspired stuff, Cheryl!
I'm a big believer in being honest with teens. I remember how much it meant to me in those years to have adults in my life who were willing to be "real" with me. Actually, genuineness is one of the first qualities I seek in a friend even now.
Kids' author Judy Blume has said she believes it is better to tell kids the truth, because what they imagine otherwise is usually worse than the way things really are. I tend to agree. Moreover, your being honest with those kids may help them feel less alone as many of them surely grapple already with such theological dilemmas ... And they may not always feel comfortable letting adults in their life know that they might even appear to be "questioning God."
I have every confidence in you. More specifically, I have confidence in God working through you and loving those kids through you. May He bless you richly.
Cheryl,
I'm interested in how your class went. I think we demonstrate faith best when we admit that we don't understand everything about God but that we believe and hope anyway; we trust in what God's word says and His word says that He is just. The world and it's powers are not. I believe we will receive from Him what He's promised us and meanwhile, we get from the world only what the world has to offer.
Those young people are blessed to have you for their teacher.
Kathy
Oh, yes indeed I do have questions to ask Him someday. Sometimes I feel like the older I am the more I don't know. But the one thing I know more surely than I ever have is that Jesus' taking the punishment for our sin on the cross was something He did NOT have to do, but He did it, because He loved us so much. If I keep myself immersed in that love I can handle not having answers to all my questions.
Post a Comment