Confessions of a phone phobic
It's no secret, really. I don't like the phone. In fact, it goes even deeper than that. You see I'm phone phobic. Now I've learned to work through my phobia, but it's still there under the surface just ready to rear its ugly head.
I've never really liked the phone, not even as a teenager. But this disdain for the phone has really become apparent with the proliferation of phones during the past 10 years. Think about it. How far are you right now from a phone? Probably not very far.
I have phones in my house, my office, and in my car. For Pete's sake if I don't have a phone on my person, usually someone else does. All this in our attempt to "stay connected" to each other.
I'm not sure what good old Ma Bell would think about our current use of phones. Somehow, I don't think she (or we for that matter) ever envisioned our current reliance on them. Yet, most folks would be LOST without their cell phone. If you don't believe me, just try and take them away. Once at a conference, we were asked to surrender our phones. People were in tears. You would have thought they had asked us for our first born children.
So, here's my challenge to you. Instead of calling your friend, make some time to meet her/him for coffee, or stop by their house just to say "hi." I think you'll be amazed at just how rich that face-to-face communication will be.
As for me well. . . . .
"Cheryl cannot take your call right now, please leave a comment in the section below." (beep)

10 comments:
Yes, but usually you need to CALL to make the lunch date...
I know I am sitting here on my bed...my house phone and my cell phone sit right next to me, and I have already taken a call on BOTH today!
Have a fantastic day Prof!
That was good Prof!! I know...we are so connected, but how connected are we really?! Its just better the ole fashion way sometimes....some face to face time is real.
Have a great day my friend!
I am addicted to my cell phone, wish I wasn't!! How are you?? Been thinking of ya today! Love ya!
Cheryl,
This made me laugh! I really only like to use my cell in the car because I hate driving although I hear that talking and driving are DANGEROUS.
Kathy
of course i'm addicted to my cell phone! i almost had a cow when i thought it had died. ya know, when the ditch ate it. :) :)
hahaha...you are funny...
i think it's hilarious how we've morphed from those huge car phones that only a handful of people had, to tiny little things that go in your pocket and can be set on vibrate, silent, or made to ring your favorite song every time someone thinks to call you! what in the world did we do before cell phones and the internet?! snail mail will be nonexistent by the time i have kids in the world..
it's a love hate relationship that is for sure. i love my house phone that is a place where i talk with some relaxation element, the cell phone i'm uptight, especially in public. i hope i always am. i heard a stand up comic once do a skit about cell phones in public places, it went something like: this guy was having this loud conversation(aren't they all) in a restaurant on his cell phone and the comic said "why don't we just say to these people - please, can i just get a little public (instead of can i just get a little privacy) sorry i'm bad at retelling jokes. i knew that before i started typing this but attempted it anyway. i think you get his point. :) i do believe the tears. does that not say something.
I have made a conscious effort to make sure that I do not talk on the phone as much as I use to. Of course my 7 yr old saying "mommy you are always either on the phone or on the computer!!"
That was a big kick in the pants. Now I only talk when they are at school and I am finally getting to go to lunch with friends again (now that my little one is in school).
Thank you for the reminder. We always need to remember this one :)
Love,
Kim
I can't stand talking on the phone. Plus I have a bad neck so it is really hard for me to talk on the phone. you crack me up. I am a germ phobe with the phone. i dont like talking on the phone after someone else without first cleaning it.
And i thought i was the only one that has a phone phobia. Thanks Prof! Somehow your blog made me happy.
Post a Comment