Thursday, September 4, 2008

An Unexpected Call to Ministry


Today I'm guest blogging for Mandy at MandyThompson.com for her series on "Everday Doers." The following is part of that series.

I’m typically a very private person. I don’t share information readily and certainly find it challenging to open myself up, warts and all for the rest of the world to see. So imagine my horror in June 2007 when I felt the Lord urging me to start a blog. Of course, I thought at first He must be kidding. This must be some kind of joke, right? Yet, that still small voice persisted and got louder and louder until there was no denying that yes, this was exactly what He was calling me to do.

I learned a long time ago it’s best to be obedient. So I bit the bullet, created Profbaugh’s Blog and went about writing my first post. Since that time the ministries opportunities have abounded. It hasn’t always been comfortable. And yes, I’ve found myself stretched in ways I never thought I could go. Yet, the Lord knew exactly what He was doing with that urging over a year ago.

I’ve had the opportunity to mentor, to pray with, to listen to and cry with, to encourage, to teach and most of all to connect with others in truly intimate ways. And conversely I’ve been ministered to, impacted in ways I would have never expected and challenged beyond my wildest dreams to move and grow. Honestly, when I truly survey what He has done through this simple blog, well frankly I’m just amazed and humbled to be part of His plan.

What’s the upshot of all this? Simply this that ministry happens day in and day out, all around us. God is at work, has been at work and continues to be at work. If we will just listen to and follow His call, no matter how “out there” it may seem the most amazing things can happen.

So here are my questions for you. What is God calling you to do today? And more importantly how will you respond? The choice to follow is always yours. I can guarantee one thing. You’ll never be sorry answering His call.

So as Mandy has so aptly written on her blog, “Don’t live there, do something!”

12 comments:

Olson Family said...

Over from Mandy's. Enjoyed reading about you and your recent posts. I'm private too - and having to "come out of the closet" re: blogging because I accepted Mandy's challenge. Most of the "friends & family" I blog for, don't actually read many other blogs! I think they'll be surprised. Thanks again,Susan

mandy said...

You did good.
Thank you!

I'm excited to read the blogs of those who will be challenged by what you and Natalie brought up this week! Thank you!!

Louise Knight said...

Always a pleasure and an encouragement to hear fellow ministers on their call and why they do what they do.

Keep on keeping on.

GratefulinGA said...

Thank you Mandy and Cheryl for hosting this series and posing these questions.

Having recently found your blog Mandy, I was thrilled to see what you had planned.

Not one for short postings, your questions prompted an unplanned post this morning.

Thank you both for that.

In answer to your questions...

What is God calling me to do today?
To share my testimony, encourage, write and maybe...teach? Eeeeech!?%!

Encouragement is definitely one of my gifts, and comes like breathing to me. I’m amazed that for many, they would rather hold back encouragement to others out of some fear of diminishing themselves or worse, cause another to get ‘the big head’…it doesn't add up to me,

Sharing my testimony is difficult, whether written or verbal, so often I write about it or finish speaking believing what I uttered was completely unintelligible, only to hear from others how blessed they were. That’s when I know beyond any doubt…this is God! Thank you Jesus for translating the abundance that spills from my heart.


How will I respond?

I see no choice here. I must follow His lead, look to Him daily not me, putting one foot in front of the other with confidence that He has the plan, He will provide the knowledge, and He will raise me up when I don’t see or understand what He has in mind. At fifty years old, what a thrilling ride to be on! I plan to hang in there as long as God wills it!

Anonymous said...

I have been blogging for about a year and when I started, I did it simply for a place for me to journal my life with my family and just to write down what's in my heart for my own sake. I had NO IDEA that anything I said would have the power to change lives and bring truth and light into confused and dark places. I have received emails and letters from people quoting things I have read that I almost forgotten about.

Nonetheless, they go on to tell me how it has in some way impacted their lives forever and I am humbled. Humbled that a God so great, could use me in all my weaknesses to minister to hurting hearts.

And who knew it would happen this way? Through typing out words on a computer. I am amazed everyday.

Amazing post!! Thank you.

Michelle Bentham Blogspot said...

Cheryl,

Oh My Goodness. This could be my story - change the names and date and there you go... But, I will write the other half of this story over at my place later today or tonight. I'll be back soon.

Thanks for hosting this and being available for me to find it indirectly! Good stuff! Good stuff!

Nancy Mon said...

Hey Sis,
Thanks for praying for me. I think we must have both been up the same time in the middle of the night.

Love, Nancy

ocean mommy said...

Oh Mercy! That next to last paragraph just went and got all up in my face! In a good way of course. ;)

I'm SO thankful that you were obedient to God! I would have never known you, had you not!


Hugs!
steph.

Michelle Bentham Blogspot said...

Hey Cheryl,

You inspired me to write a long, long post about being a tree. It ain't easy being green, but I am trying - Oh Yes, I am trying.

Stop ove when you have a minute and read about how you and Tammy plugged me in to share about the Everday Doing movement at Mandy's blog.

Blessings.

Jean said...

So true! Great challenge too. And thanks for adding your prayers to the "wings" that are carrying us right now. I do expect God to show up in a big way, but I guess I get afraid that He will want to make us REALLY depend on Him first. Yikes!

Fran said...

Personally....I am so glad you started this blog!! You bless me every time you put something out there.

Let's all go "out there" with Christ!!!

Love,
Fran

Annie said...

I so identify. Thanks, for sharing this, Cheryl.